Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gleanings from My Readings

Since I’ve been reading Jane Austen all week, I thought I’d share some witty quotes. Enjoy!

From a letter to her sister Cassandra:

“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”

From Sense and Sensibility:

“There are certainly not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them.”

From Pride and Prejudice:

“It is happy for you that you possess the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are they the result of previous study?”

From Northanger Abbey:

“A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can.”

From Emma:

“One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.”

From Mansfield Park:

“Nobody minds having what is too good for them.”

From Persuasion:

“To flatter and follow others, without being flattered and followed in turn, is but a state of half enjoyment.”

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to pick up one of the novels soon! Thanks for sharing these quotes. I've been reading them out loud to my family.

Steve said...

My favorite has to be the Pride and Prejudice quote. There were so many funny moments throughout the novel. Mr. Collins and Mr.+ Mrs. Bennett supplied numerous laughs throughout. Jane Austen provides us with so many great quotations from her works.

Becca said...

"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."

This has always been one of my absolute favorite quotes of anything ever!

I started re-reading P&P today for my Brit Lit class and I'd forgotten how funny it was! My poor roommate, she's working on getting things copied down into her planner and working on her first few homework assignments, and I'm just up in my bed giggling.

I was thrilled that this was one of the assignments. I haven't read it since I was 16 and was planning on re-reading it again this year, anyway.

Stephanie said...

I know! P&P, in my opinion, is Austen's funniest novel. She's witty in all of them, but I can't read P&P without laughing out loud. I can think of worse ways to start a semester!