Monday, January 5, 2009

Booking It--Resolutions

Any New Year’s Reading Resolutions? A certain number of books you want to read in 2009? Certain genres? Something from your TBR pile? Classics to read? Authors to try? Anything at all??




I’ve already posted about my own personal resolutions, but I just couldn’t pass up writing about book-related resolutions, could I?


My New Year’s Reading Resolutions are:

I resolve not to abandon my personal reading while writing my dissertation. Every day, in addition to whatever I read that’s dissertation-related, I want to read a little for my spirit, at least one poem, a little for recreation, and something (the newspaper, a magazine, an on-line news source) to keep me in touch with the world around me.



I know it probably won’t have a chance of happening until summer, but I resolve to read at least one book off my list of Books That I’m Embarrassed I Haven’t Read. Right now, I’m thinking the Doris Lessing one, but that could change by the time I actually get around to choosing.


After finishing my dissertation, I resolve to read one of the series of books I will mention in Tuesday's (tomorrow's) post.


How ‘bout you?

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I want to stop "re-reading" this year. I only read ten or so new reads in 2008. It was so easy to pull my favorites from my bookshelf and pack them in my suitcase. I really enjoyed having the time to re-read so many, but I need to branch out more this year. :)

Anonymous said...

You are such an ambitious reader! I know it is your profession....you are a professional reader!:) I just want to always have a book by my bed. I am planning to read The Last Lecture and then book #8 in the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. I want to intersperse my escape reading with biographies or the like. I am such a shallow reader, I think. You are inspiring to reach higher! Thanks.

Steve said...

My goal for the new year is to read a book a week, 52 in total. I read 25 or so books from Sept.'07-Sept.'08, but since starting college I just don't seem to have the time to curl up with a good book anymore. So I hope that my resolution will help me to slow down my busy life, and help me to keep things in perspective.