Friday, January 16, 2009

Fooling Oprah


I like to read memoirs, and I’ve read several lately—Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s, Larry McMurtry’s, Azar Nafisi’s, Susan Campbell's, and more. And I’ve always approached memoirs with a level of trust. I realize that a memoir is an author’s presentation of herself/himself and therefore subject to a little slanting, some careful word selections, a few choice omissions, and I expect that. What I don’t expect is to be outright lied to, but I guess Oprah must be getting used to it.

First, it was James Frey. Next it was Herman Rosenblatt. Wonder who’s next?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so taken aback by the complete fabrication of these 2 memoirs. I'm sure there are many others who were not found out! Why wouldn't they just write fascinating fiction? I love fiction. I know it's all made up, but I learn and grow through the stories. Just write fiction and fess up!

metropolitan homeless said...

i like the new face of yr blog! please talk me out of changing mine! this is fascinating & a cautionary tale. im always reminding myself that the truth is far more compelling than fiction--unless you are a brilliant fiction writer!