Saturday, March 20, 2010

Overheard at Walmart


It's been quite a while since I've overheard anything at Walmart that was worth repeating. Of course, that could be because I put off going there until it's an absolute necessity, and then while there I rush from aisle to aisle, snatching what I need off the shelves in a desperate rush to get out.


However, a little girl made my recent trip there worthwhile. She and her mother rounded the end of the aisle, making their way toward me. The little girl was chattering; the mother was nodding and making "um-hmm" kinds of sounds as she scanned the shelves, not really paying her daughter any attention.


LITTLE GIRL: Yada yada yada . . . And my ear was really hurting. Really hurting. It was an emotional pain.


MOM: (beginning to laugh as the little girl's words finally get her attention) Oh, really? And what is emotional pain?


LITTLE GIRL: It's a special kind of pain. And it hurts really bad. I don't like it when my ear has emotional pain.

Boy, me neither.



No comments: