Monday, April 20, 2009

Booking It--Library Week

Last week was National Library week, and since my technical difficulties kept me from posting these questions last Monday, I thought I’d do them today:

How often do you use your public library and how do you use it?

I rarely if ever use the city library, but I use the University library (both Harding’s & Ole Miss’s) regularly—mostly for research.

Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library?

As far as sitting and browsing or surfing the internet, yes.

Did you go to the library as a child?

Oh, yes! It was one of my favorite places. I still remember exactly where on the shelves some of my favorite books were. I lived out in the country, so not only did I visit the library when we went to town, but I was also a regular patron of the Bookmobile. Although books, of course, were the main attraction, I still remember how wonderful it was to enter that air-conditioned Bookmobile on a hot summer day.

Do you have any particular memories of the library?

The library was only a block away from my grandmother’s house, and I’d walk down the street, through a honeysuckle-lined alleyway, and across the Community House lawn to get there. Every summer I’d attend the weekly Story Hour, and I remember sitting on the floor in a circle with other kids, listening to the librarian read. The library had high ceilings and was full of polished, dark wood. It always seemed like a wonderful, mysterious place to me.

Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

I’m thankful for the amenities in the sleek, modern, active libraries, but my heart prefers the older, darker, quiet, cozy ones.

No comments: