Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Quiz--a la Ashley

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Both

2. Real tree or Artificial?

Artificial. It’s easier.

3. When do you put up the tree?

Mine’s not up yet. Maybe today? Lest you think I'm a Scrooge, putting up my tree this late is not my usual modus operandi. I never put it up before Thanksgiving, but I usually do have it up sometime during the first week of December. This year, though, I was working on my prospectus defense for the 4th, then we left the next morning for a long-anticipated trip to San Antonio. So I do have an excuse. If I were rolling in the dough (which I'm not) I'd hire a decorator to deck my halls. I love how a decorated house looks, I just don't love being the one to do it.

4. When do you take the tree down?

I have been known to take it down Christmas night, but for sure by a few days after Christmas. I’m always ready to get the house back in order.

5. Do you like eggnog?

I’ve only had the bought, pre-prepared kind, and I like it okay. I think I’d probably really like the homemade variety.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

Books. Surprised?

7. Hardest person to buy for?

My husband. He doesn’t want a lot of stuff, but when he does, it’s usually something that’s important to him, and I hate to buy a “big” gift for him and it not be exactly what he wanted in every way.

8. Easiest person to buy for?

My daughter.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?

Yes, a small crystal one that sits on a mirror. It was a gift from my aunt.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?

Lately, neither. When I used to have the time to do it, I patronized our wonderfully efficient, always reliable, and surprisingly inexpensive US postal service. Lighten up--it's Christmas!

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

A doll from one set of my grandparents when I was about fourteen. And, no, it was not one of those dolls that you sit on a shelf and admire. It was a doll you play with. I was mortified.

12. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

After Thanksgiving, unless I just happen to make a great discovery before.

13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

Not as a gift. I have passed on something I’ve gotten and couldn’t or wouldn’t use to someone else, but it was more like “I’ll never use this. You want it?”

14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Fudge. Italian Cream Cake. Homemade rolls.

15. Lights on the tree?

White lights. I love the look. (Sorry to disappoint you, Ashley!)

16. Favorite Christmas song?

"The Christmas Song.” You know, “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire . . .” I like all the classics sung by Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Burl Ives, etc. But one Christmas carol I’ve never liked is “The Little Drummer Boy.” The “pa rum pa bum bum” just gets on my nerves.

17. Go out for Christmas or stay at home?

We do grandparents before Christmas and stay home Christmas Day. But it has become a tradition to go see a movie on Christmas night.

18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?

Ashley said it best: “Only if I sing the song.”

19. Angel on the tree top or a star?

Neither. It’s a glittery ornament with a tall spire. Maybe it’s supposed to remind you of a star. Anyway, it’s pretty.

20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?

Christmas morning. I never let the kids talk me into opening presents early. Nothing heightens pleasure like anticipation.

21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?

Seeing others start Christmas too early. A three-month long Christmas season is tooooo much. And I hate that Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday, is often overshadowed by the mad rush into Christmas.

22. Favorite ornament theme or color?

Red.

23. Favorite for Christmas dinner?

We get so much of the traditional holiday meal items at the grandparents that we actually do barbeque with all the fixins for Christmas Day lunch. Funny that, although we get enough of turkey and stuffing, we never get enough of the pies and candies, and are able to incorporate them into our nontraditional Christmas meal.

24. What do you want for Christmas this year?

To finish my dissertation quickly and without pulling all my hair out or going insane, and get back to my (arguably) normal life.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, too! I cringed for a week because my coworkers were playing Christmas music on the radio the week before Thanksgiving. That's a pretty fun survey you have there!

Ash said...

White lights...*sigh*...