Monday, December 29, 2008

Booking It--Highlights


It’s an old question, but a good one . . . What were your favorite books this year?

List as many as you like … fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, science-fiction, business, travel, cookbooks … whatever the category. But, really, we’re all dying to know. What books were the highlight of your reading year in 2008?


Here are mine, in no particular order:

Khaled Hosseini’s A Thousand Splendid Suns
Barbara Kingsolver’s The Bean Trees
Nancy Pearcey’s Total Truth
Mary Ann Schaeffer and Annie Barrow’s The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
David Wroblewski’s The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
Naomi Shihab Nye’s Fuel
Sarah Waters’ Affinity
Henry Fielding’s Tom Jones
Anne Lamott’s Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
Ranier Maria Rilke’s Letters to a Young Poet
Anita Shreve’s The Weight of Water
Charlotte Brontë’s Villette
Jane Spencer’s The Rise of the Woman Novelist from Aphra Behn to Jane Austen
Barbara Pym’s Excellent Women
Naomi Wolf’s The Beauty Myth
Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s Infidel

If you read a book this year that you’d like to recommend, please share it here. Maybe it’ll make my Highlights list in 2009.

2 comments:

metropolitan homeless said...

you put me to shame! one of the things on my to do list is to read books & that was probably your influence from last year. i think having the right place is the secret. & believe me my new bed is perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

I am going to print your list! Thanks for the suggestions. I really enjoyed The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I loved reading about the culture of Botswana. I also read A Woman in Charge by Carl Bernstein. I came to appreciate Hillary Clinton. I didn't really like her until I read this book. I was drawn to it because of the author and because I had read that she was not happy with it. She thought it portrayed in a negative light. I also read the NT this year in the Easy Reader Version. It seemed fresh in version other than the NIV. Year of Wonder was about the plague in England. It was a beautiful book. I also read anything Sophie Kinsella writes! It's my junk food! I'm surrently reading The Friday Night Knitting Club and have Scarpetta on my nightstand. (Thanks to you and Sam's Club) Can't wait to check out yours!