Monday, June 14, 2010

Booking It--Signature


Do signed copies excite you? Tempt you? Delight you? Or does it not matter to you?

Of course, signed copies are nice to own, and I have a few I'm proud of. I've got an autographed volume of Billy Collins' poetry, for instance, and an signed copy of Barbara Kingsolver's latest novel. If I have a choice between a signed copy (that I can afford) and an unsigned one, I'll take the autographed one any time. That's one neat thing about Square Books in Oxford. Signed editions by notable authors are often available, at no extra charge. You can be browsing the shelves and, all of a sudden, run across one. But I don't purchase a book for a signature alone. I wouldn't care about a signed copy if I didn't already want the book and/or admire the author.

No comments: