Saturday, December 26, 2009

Pay Attention


I'm not an adventurous cook. I cook by the recipe, and I usually stick to recipes that are tried and tested, old favorites. I make a pumpkin bread that's pretty good, if I do say so myself. A couple of years ago my youngest son took some to work, and ever since then his boss has requested some at Christmas.

Well, if you've been reading this blog, you know that this Christmas I've been kind of behind. So, early Christmas Eve morning, in the middle of getting ready to go to my Mom's, I decided to bake the pumpkin bread.

I wasn't sure I had enough sugar, so I measured it out in a separate bowl to see. I did. I started putting the recipe together, but my mind was in a million places at once. As I slipped the bread into the oven, I happened to notice the bowl with the sugar in it pushed to the back of the cabinet. Yikes! I grabbed the bowl out of the sink, dumped the pumpkin bread mixture back into the bowl, added the sugar, then poured it into the pans again and slid it back into the oven.

About five minutes into the cooking time it hit me. I'd squirted dishwashing liquid into the bowl as I put it in the sink. Back came the pans out of the oven. Down the sink went the batter.

The moral of the story? Cooking does not lend itself to multi-tasking.

No comments: