Monday, December 14, 2009

Booking It--Mark the Spot

What items have you ever used as a bookmark? What is the most unusual item you’ve ever used or seen used?


I've got some really wonderful bookmarks--leather souvenir ones from the homes of Samuel Johnson and Charles Dickens and one from the Jane Austen center in Bath. A former professor and now friend of mine gave me a leather one from Stonehenge and a woven one from Greece. I love these but hate to use them because I'm afraid I'll misplace them. Another friend gave me an elasticized beaded one that's beautiful, and I do use it. But, since I keep more than one book going at a time, the beaded one is not enough, and what usually happens is that I grab one of those card-like magazine inserts (there seem to be about 50 inside every magazine that I read) and make a temporary bookmark out of it. I've used bills, and index cards, and even photographs, but I don't make a practice out of that.



The funniest bookmark experience I guess I've had happened earlier this year. As part of my devotional reading, I'd been reading a Jewish prayer book, one prayer a day. The prayers are very beautiful. Anyway, as you can imagine, I have an odd assortment of cheap paper bookmarks that I've picked up in different places, and I'd grabbed one without looking at it and stuck it in the book. The next morning, when I reached for the book, titled Prayers for Shabbat and Weekdays, I noticed that the bookmark read "Jesus Loves Me."


No comments: