Monday, May 11, 2009

Booking It--Graphic Novels

- Do you read graphic novels/comics? Why do/don’t you enjoy them?

- How would you describe the difference between “graphic novel” and “comic”? Is there a difference at all?

- Say you have a friend who’s never encountered graphic novels. Recommend some titles you consider "landmark/canonical.”

No, I don’t read graphic novels. And I don’t have some elitist reason for not reading them. It’s just that there are too many traditional novels I haven’t gotten around to reading yet, and they’re my first choice.

If anybody more knowledgeable on this subject would like to weigh in and give suggestions, feel free.

2 comments:

Ian said...

While doing research for a short paper on Paul Auster's City of Glass I discovered that an artist had drawn a graphic novel adaptation of City of Glass and I felt it necessary to read the artist's rendering.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Since then, I've intended to read move graphic novels, but I haven't yet found the time. At the top of my list, at the recommendation of several graphic novel reading friends, is Watchmen.

Stephanie said...

Ah, time. It's always the problem, isn't it?