Monday, May 18, 2009

Booking It--Gluttony

Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?

Well, of course I’m a book glutton. I’ve got so many unread books on my nightstand that I could go on a book-buying fast for quite a while and still survive. (Just so you get the picture, my nightstand is actually one of those ladder bookshelves, so besides a lamp and an alarm clock, it can hold a lot of books.) But just because I could refrain from buying books, doesn’t mean I will. You see, I never really know what I’ll want to read next, when it comes to my pleasure reading. My mood can change rather quickly. And I do eventually get around to reading all the books I buy; they just don’t always get read in the order I purchased them. There’s something really comforting about being able to just walk into my bedroom, go through the stacks, and pick up just the book I am ready to read. There are enough areas of my life in which I have to be self-controlled. I refuse to regulate my pleasure reading.

No comments: