Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Girl Who Cain't Say No

Yep. That’s me. It isn’t enough that I’m working full time on my doctorate. Of course, not. See, really, I think I’m Superwoman.

I spent all last Fall preparing for my Comprehensive Exams, doing research, and writing my dissertation proposal. Oh, and also writing a paper and presenting it at the Harding Lectureship.

This Spring, I’m writing my dissertation. Oh yeah, and preparing to lecture at Harding’s WINGS conference this weekend.

And to top it all off, I think I must be wearing a sign on my back that says “Give me all the controversial topics!” Last Fall I spoke on “Is Jesus a Feminist?” My topic this weekend? “Tolerance and Variance.” I have to wonder if I’m being set up for a fall.

No, really, I’m glad to speak on these topics. First of all, they are so important, and I’m really glad Harding sees the need for these discussions.

And secondly, I feel about preparing these talks the same way I feel about writing papers. It’s not as much fun or as interesting to write about something that you’ve already got figured out. You miss the sense of being a seeker; there is no thrill of discovery. It’s really pretty exciting.

But, boy, is my brain tired.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I also wrote a proposal (that was accepted) for the Christian Scholars Conference this summer. The theme of the conference is “The Power of Narrative,” and the speakers will be Billy Collins and Marilynn Robinson. It’s gotta be worth writing a paper to get to hear them speak.

Now, if I can just figure out WHEN I’ll write it . . .

4 comments:

Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

What are you going to say about tolerance and variance?

metropolitan homeless said...

love the title! good luck & i know you will pull it off! oox

Mark Elrod said...

The best man for the job is a woman.

lisa b said...

To my dear sister in overcommitment:

I love you and can't wait to hear what you have to say this weekend. Also, can I hitch a ride to CSC this summer? I really want to go and check it out.