Monday, February 16, 2009

Booking It--Electronic vs. Paper

Tell us what you think. Do you have an ebook reader? Do you read ebooks on your computer? Do you hate the very thought? How do you feel about the fact that book publishing is changing and facing much the same existential dilemma as the music industry upon the creation of MP3s?

No, I don’t have an ebook reader. I have a niece who is a reader, and she asked me this past Christmas if I thought I’d give in and buy a Kindle. I told her, “Not yet.”

I don’t think an ereader would or could ever replace books for me. But I could see how getting newspaper and magazines on one might be really handy. Instead of all that “stuff” arriving in the mail, zing, right here it is. It would eliminate the table-top clutter problem. And, if you do your periodical reading during a commute or in stolen minutes here and there, it would be much handier to keep up with a Kindle than to remember to stuff magazines and newspapers into your bag.

Of course, there would be problems. I mean, I underline things in newspapers and magazines, too. Don’t you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very intrigued by the Kindle...and now the Kindle 2! You can write in the margins, by the way. Which makes it even better! Don't have one yet, but probably will. Birthday is coming up!