Friday, November 14, 2008

All Humility Aside

I know. I know. You’re not supposed to toot your own horn. I’ve heard all about pride going before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall, but this is really true. I know I have this talent. My husband reminds me of it regularly, so it must be so. As Dave Barry used to say, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

My talent? I can, invariably, at any place of business, at any time of day, on any given occasion, choose the worst shopping cart available. And my talent is not simple. Oh, no. There’s complexity involved here. I go in for variety. One day it’s the wobbly wheel, other days it’s the stuck one. Often I choose the cart that clacks loudly with each wheel rotation. Sometimes I select a cart that pulls strongly to the left, other times to the right.

I’ve even tested my instincts. I’ve chosen a cart, pushed it for a few feet to discover its weak spot, returned it and chosen another. And guess what? Validation. Yet again my talent shone through. Sometimes it takes three or four tries before my talent fails me and I select a properly functioning cart.

With talent like this, it’s hard to be humble.

2 comments:

Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

This has nothing to do with this blog entry, but I think you'd get a kick out of Jeremy Elliott's post here (and should participate):

http://northlocust.blogspot.com/2008/11/hybrids.html

Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

Let's see whether I can make this a link:


Here's the post