Monday, July 21, 2008

An Original Idea

My first literary critical analysis papers as an undergrad were elementary attempts to grapple with the basic elements of a text, usually short texts like a poem or short story. But I’ll never forget the time that, as an upperclassman, I had an epiphany of sorts while reading a text. I quickly grabbed pen and paper to get down my brilliant insights before they disappeared into thin air. After all, that mid-term paper was due soon.

My elation soon evaporated when I went to the library to do research and found out that, to my dismay, several other people, famous literary critics to be exact, had already had and explored this idea before me, extensively and eruditely. Depression followed dismay.

I went to see my professor to explain my dilemma, and he gave me some of the best advice of my academic career. “You’re looking at it the wrong way,” he said. “You shouldn’t dwell on the fact that someone had the idea before you. You should celebrate the fact that, on your own, you came to some of the same conclusions as the great scholars.”

Thank you, JF.

No comments: