Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Nature vs. Nurture, or: Piles of Books Do Not a Reader Make

I’ve always been a reader. If you told me to choose five words to describe myself, “reader” would probably be at the top of my list. It is so much a part of who I am that I don’t think I’d be me if I couldn’t read.

So, of course, I wanted my children to be little readers also. I read up on it (of course), and all the experts suggested that I read to my kids, model reading for my kids, provide them with access to books, have plenty of books and magazines around the house, talk to them about books, take them to story hour at the library, let the printed word be a natural part of our lives. I did all these things religiously and with much fervor.

My score? 1-1-1

My oldest is a reader, though I don’t think he reads as avidly as I do; I don’t think he needs it. My middle child occasionally reads a book, but often finds it hard to make it through to the end before the library sends her a bill for overdue fines equal to the price of the book. My youngest would rather be slathered with honey and thrown on an anthill than have to read a book of any length or description.

Well, they can’t say I didn’t try.

And experts don’t always have all the answers.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It can be heartbreaking,can't it? I did all those things! We even donated books to the local public library and were regulars at story time. I even RAN story time for a while and have a vivid memory of shooting off an email to my dad, brothers, and sister that merely read: "My youngest child knows how to read now. I have succeeded in my primary task as a mother; all of my children can read." :-)

Of my five, my oldest is a needs-to-read person and she is majoring in English and History. My second enjoys it but has been known not to finish books if she doesn't like them. (I didn't know that was possible.) My third is much too interested in Hannah Montana, and my fourth would rather join your child on the anthill. My youngest seems to be a reader-in-the-making but is also very intrigued by art and drawing and video games. The jury is still out.

But oh! the joy that comes when your not-quite-a-reader daughter adds The Poisonwood Bible to her short list of favorite books. When a not-quite-a-reader connects that strongly with something, it has deep meaning.

Stephanie said...

I love The Poisonwood Bible. I'm not quite sure if any other piece of fiction I've read has touched me so strongly or made me think so deeply. It's a book whose layers have to be peeled back slowly, with much thought. And there are no easy answers. I'm glad she liked it, too.