Friday, January 1, 2010

Reading Resolutions

I read a lot, so I don't have to resolve to read or to read more. What I do resolve this year is not to let work-related reading take over my life and crowd out all room for pleasure reading. After all, the joy I receive from reading is what led me to this field.

I'm not being unrealistic. I know that I can't read for pleasure as much or as often as I'd really like to and still be as prepared as I need to be for my classes. But I truly believe that teachers of literature can't just bury themselves in the classics. We need to at least attempt to stay current, to read some of the best-sellers, an occasional Pulitzer Prize winner. I can choose one book I've been wanting to read and enjoy a chapter or two before work, or during my lunch break, or right after I get home as a way to wind down from the stress of the day. I like it when a student asks me if I've read a book they're currently enjoying and I have and can discuss it with them. I like to model being a reader rather than just being a teacher.

I'm challenging myself to read at least two books a month simply for pleasure. This is a low-end goal. I hope to read much more than that. And, of course, I'll keep you posted about what I'm reading.

How about you? How are you going to challenge yourself as far as reading goes this year? Come on, you can tell me. I'll hold you accountable.

1 comment:

Alex said...

My reading resolution of last year did not go so well. That being the case, I'm going to continue to gnaw away at my 2009 list.