Monday, October 13, 2008

Sorry, Larry

Well, in exactly eight days I’ll be taking my Oral Comprehensive exam. If you’ve been following the side columns of this blog, you’ve probably already noticed that the “What I’m Reading Now” column hasn’t been changing much lately. These two facts are connected.

The poetry reading’s still going strong. As planned, I read at least two or three poems every morning, some mornings even more. And right now, for my “devotional” reading (for lack of a better term), I’m reading Anne Lamott’s Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts about Faith. The only problem here is that I could really get into this book. She’s so honest about her faith journey and her prose is so beautiful that I’d love to just sit and read this book straight through. The small sections that I’m allowing myself daily just whet my appetite for more, and it’s taking some real self control to put the book down and get to the task at hand. Poor Larry McMurtry’s been languishing on my list for an embarrassing amount of time, and it’s not because I’m not enjoying his memoir. It’s that between going to conferences and studying for comps, he’s been put on the back burner. Sorry, Larry.

No comments: