Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Another Big Check Mark


After a week and a half of a steady low-grade headache and a somewhat sick-to-my-stomach feeling, I am miraculously healed! Amazing what passing comps can do for your health!

I have heard horror stories about PhD committees--impossible-to-please professors, power struggles between big egos, candidates unwittingly choosing committee members that simply cannot get along--but I'm blessed with a wonderful committee. All throughout the process they have held me to high standards and required quality work, but have also always been ready with a smile, advice, and whatever help I needed. My director e-mailed me the day before the Oral Comp to encourage me. He said, "Don't think of it as an Inquisition. Think of it as an intelligent conversation. We're not out to 'get you.' Each one of us respects you and wants to see you succeed." That really helped. And although I was very nervous at the beginning, he was right. It was more like talking with three good friends than facing the firing squad.


My Wonderful Committee:



L to R: Dr. Colby Kullman, me, Dr. Natalie Schroeder, and Dr. Ronald Schroeder (director)

This was taken immediately after the Oral Comp; you can see the relief in my big smile. One more check mark on the list. I'm offically ABD now!

A couple of good friends, fellow PhD-pursuers, helped me celebrate the milestone. We had a wonderful dinner at Old Venice, checked out Square Books (what else would you expect people pursuing a PhD in English to do?), and shared a huge dessert and coffee while looking over the Square at Downtown Grill.


Tara, me, and Sarah

Thanks, guys, for helping me celebrate my special day!

2 comments:

lisa b said...

Have I told you that I'm proud of you? And proud that I can call you "friend"?

Did I tell you about my doctor's appointment right before I took comps? My blood pressure was up, which never happens to me. Dr. J asked what was going on and said, "Oh. Comps. We're not going to worry about your BP now. Come back after you've finished them."

I did.

It was below normal.

I had no idea how much stress I was carrying around with me!

Stephanie said...

I can believe it! The physical pressure is enormous. After it was all over, I felt so relieved that I wanted to cry--not in a bad way, but just as a way to release all that pent-up tension.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm blessed to have you for a friend, too.