Monday, November 16, 2009

Booking It--Too Short


“Life is too short to read bad books.” I’d always heard that, but I still read books through until the end no matter how bad they were because I had this sense of obligation. That is, until this week when I tried (really tried) to read a book that is utterly boring and unrealistic. I had to stop reading.

Do you read everything all the way through or do you feel life really is too short to read bad books?

Yes, I do feel that way. Especially when my stack of "to-reads" is expanding exponentially and my list of "have-reads" seems to grow at a snail's pace. If a book is really slow but someone I trust has told me to stick with it, I will. And if I need to read the book for a class or some other important reason, I'll stick with it, but I'm very tempted to skim quickly to the end. If it's supposed to be a pleasure read and it's bad, then I don't waste my time with it. Too many other good books are waiting for me.

No comments: