Monday, November 23, 2009

Booking It--Posterity


Do you think any current author is of the same caliber as Dickens, Austen, Bronte, or any of the classic authors? If so, who, and why do you think so? If not, why not? What books from this era might be read 100 years from now?

The first book that came to mind for me was Barbara Kingsolver's tour de force, The Poisonwood Bible. I definitely believe that book will go down as a classic, but I've sung her praises so much on the blog I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. To be honest though, I've been stuck in the 18th century for the last few years, at least in most of my reading life. I'm not as up on current authors as I'd like to be. However, I'm trying to remedy that now. So, as far as the best of current literature/authors goes, I'm certainly not the expert. Any ideas out there? Who or what should I be reading now that you believe will be read 100 years from now?

4 comments:

Ian said...

I'm sure it's fully influenced by my affinity for his writing, but I think Don DeLillo will be read for many years. If for nothing else, because he was actively writing during the whole of postmodernity (that's assuming that something will replace what we're dubbing 'postmodern' within the next few years. It is, after all, a 40 year old literary time-period).

His novels encapsulate the major tenets of pomo literature and, in my opinion, they're just a joy to read.

Sarah said...

I'm with you on Kingsolver. I'd also add Toni Morrison, although it seems silly to even question her longevity. I recently re-read Beloved, and I just cannot believe how beautiful it is. It really takes my breath away.

Stephanie said...

@Ian--At the last Senior Symposium, one student did her paper on DeLillo's White Noise, and I was so intrigued that it's now on my must-read list.

@Sarah--Toni Morrison, definitely! Not, too long ago a few of my students suggested that we read her Paradise and discuss it. We did, and both the novel & the discussion were wonderful. As soon as I finished the novel, I wanted to re-read it. It was so layered and beautifully cryptic.

Ash said...

While not as well-read as I'd like to be, I don't think you can beat Kingsolver as a future literary legend.