Monday, July 6, 2009

Booking It-Celebrities?


Do you read celebrity memoirs? Which ones have you read or do you want to read? Which nonexistent celebrity memoirs would you like to see?

I do like to read memoirs, but only of people I really admire or whose lives intrigue me. Fortunately for me, celebrities (if you mean the kind that grace the tabloid covers) rarely make my list. One memoir that's on my nightstand right now is Valdimir Nobokov's Speak, Memory. I bought it after reading Lolita a couple of years ago, but I just haven't found (made?) the time yet to read it. I will, though. One of the books I just bought at the CSC is a memoir, Barbara Brown Taylor's Leaving Church. I'll probably get to it before Speak, Memory--no offense intended, Mr. Nobokov.

I think that the last two memoirs I've read were Ayan Hirsi Ali's Infidel and Larry McMurtry's Books: A Memoir. I'd highly recommend Ali's. It's a very intriguing memoir that I've thought about a lot. McMurtry's, however, was only occasionally interesting. I had to make myself finish it. There were just too many boring sections about when, where, and how he acquired certain books and not nearly enough of his thoughts about reading and writing them.

A memoir I really want to read is former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto's Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West, finished shortly before her tragic assassination.

Come to think of it, there is maybe one celebrity memoir I'd like to read--Meryl Streep's--but only if she analyzes some of her great roles.

No comments: